Dress Code: Is It Fair or Do people Want it Out?

“Have you ever been dress coded?”For many people, this has happened, and they were confused on what to do. There has always been a dress code at Rachel Carson to keep students from wearing inappropriate clothing to school. With this dress code, students have to wear clothing that doesn’t reveal too much skin. Students are not allowed to wear spaghetti straps, short shorts, and miniskirts. The dress code has always been here throughout the years, but how do people feel about it?

Faculty’s Thoughts on the Dress Code

Many people think that the consequences are bad, but do they really understand what would happen if they got dress coded? If the student had a change of clothes, then they would have to change into them.“If not, then we would have to either call your parents or make you change into your gym clothes,” was Mrs. Humphrey response when asked what would happen if they didn’t have a change of clothes. When a student gets dress coded, they are still provided with clothing to wear. Mrs.Humphrey was then asked if anything should change about the dress code. She then said that it’s worth reviewing every year. Each year FCPS reviews the dress code to make sure that it’s reasonable and fair to students. Mrs.Humphrey was asked what can kids do to not get dress coded? She replied by saying, “Students should just abide by the S.R.R  guidelines and do a check before coming to school, or they should ask an adult.” If possible, maybe all students could abide by this suggestion to prevent further cases of dress coding.

Students’ Thoughts on Dress Coding

Two seventh grade classes were given a survey asking each student if they thought the dress code was fair or unfair. The results were very close, with 28 people who thought it was unfair, versus 26 who did think it was fair. It was concluded that most of the students believed the dress code was not fair. According to the data of the results, students mainly have different views on the school dress code. The circle graph below shows the data from the results. It was learned that of two classes, or 54 students, 48.2% thought it was fair and 51.8% thought it was unfair.

When asked, many students said the overall dress code was fine, but some minor things needed to be changed, like how they are dress coded. Students think that what they are wearing is school appropriate, but the teachers don’t agree, and decides to dress code them. After being asked if the dress code was unfair, some students thought that it was fair because everyone has the right to express themselves. Other people in the same group said that it was fair “because they allow us to express ourselves appropriately”. Do you want it out, or should it stay?

• Dress Code: Is It Fair or Do people Want it Out?

Arts & Entertainment

The Extended Edition Epidemic

Arts & Entertainment

Does Rachel Carson Middle School Value Breakfast?

Arts & Entertainment

These Games Will Leave You Obsessed!

Arts & Entertainment

The Rise and Fall of Trends

Arts & Entertainment

An Insight on RCMS Lockers

Arts & Entertainment

Middle School Dilemma: Does Recess Still Matter?

Arts & Entertainment

Behind The Scenes with Ms. Rahyab

• Arts & Entertainment

Where Would You Go?

Arts & Entertainment

The World of Jobs

Arts & Entertainment

A True All-Star

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School