Students relieved to finish SOLs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students relieved to finish SOLs

On May 21, 2019 Seliz Aktuglu, Nicole Nguyen, and Elizabeth Zhukova are studying hard for the math SOL.

Photo by Galilea Vela

Photo by Galilea Vela

Photo by Galilea Vela

Galilea Vela, Writer

Students feel a weight of pressure lifted off their shoulders after finishing the SOLs.

“At first, it feels like you’re really pressured and scary, but after the first 30 minutes you kinda just forget that you’re taking the SOLs,” said seventh-grader Sara Posz. “And you know you’re just taking it for yourself not anybody else.”

SOLs (Standards of Learning) are exams schools give to students in order to test them based on what they have learned that year. The test is Computer Adaptive Testing, which means each question is based on whether you get the previous question correct. In this type of test, you cannot revisit any of the questions once you move on. The test is out of 600 points. In order to pass you need to get a 400 or higher. In order to pass advance, you need to get a 500 or higher. A 0-399 is considered not passing, and you get one chance to retake the SOLs. However, if you want to retake you need a score of 375 to 399, which means you are one or two questions away from passing.

“Don’t need to stress, just go and do whatever and just relax your mind,” said seventh-grade English teacher Ms. Amy Allen.

The SOLs definitely impact the students’ lives; it affects them differently depending on what their challenges or weaknesses are. For seventh-grader Elizabeth Zhukova, she feels very tired during the SOLs because she is very anxious the night before and gets little sleep. For seventh-graders Nicole Nguyen and Sara Posz feel stressed and nervous during the SOLs because of the pressure she receives to do well. For seventh-grader Seliz Aktuglu, the length of the test concerns her because her biggest problem is focusing.

“The SOLs are too much stress and pointless in the end,” said Elizabeth.

Many of the students’ biggest worry is failing. 

“The harder I work, the more successful I am,” said Sara Posz.