Model UN helps build and strengthen relationships

Yalini Kathamuthu

A student presents herself as the Philippines during a “Development in LDCs mock” in Model UN.

RCMS students in Model UN represent delegates from an array of countries—learning about global issues but also teamwork along the way. 

“When I first went, I thought it would be boring and political,” Kavin Murugan, an eighth-grader on the Xtreme Team said, “but it was fun and engaging.”

Through debating about problems and solutions to many global issues in Model UN, students learn about how the United Nations works. Using their knowledge of these problems and the solutions they have come up with, they meet with other middle schools in conferences, often making friendships along the way. 

“We have a joke with this one kid from Longfellow,” said Dhaya Kumaresan, an eighth-grader on the Voyagers, “because we all got to know them very well during a conference.”

Since students discuss as a team throughout Model UN, they have gotten to know each other well through teamwork and cooperation, some even having alternate group chats outside of Model UN. Many students have also described their experience as educational, interesting and having a positive impact on them. 

“We’ve all definitely grown as delegates,” said Aarna Bhamidipati, an eighth-grader on the Dolphins Team. 

Mr. Brian Corman, an eighth grade Civics Teacher on the Yellowjackets and the sponsor of the club, explained how he believes students should take away a deeper understanding of the world’s global issues and the importance of countries cooperating. 

“Model UN opens their eyes to the problems around the world and how countries solve them,” he added.

Several students from the team also recounted some of their favorite experiences throughout their time participating in Model UN. One member, Aditi Kodukula, an eighth-grader on the Explorers Team, described an experience from a conference hosted by TJ.  

“In the end, when we were all finished with solutions,” she said, “we got to make the judges do challenges like the ice bucket challenge.”

Kavin described a conference where students were discussing the COVID-19 crisis and the dilemmas countries faced.

“Getting the vaccines distributed helped us learn how the countries may have handled it,” he said.

The Model UN team practices speaking, debating and collaborating every Monday in preparation for future conferences. They will have their next conference online on Feb 5. called GWCIA. 

“I’m looking forward to future conferences,” Dhaya said, “especially GWCIA because we’re trying to win best middle school.”

Seventh grade students participating in Model UN can continue on in eighth grade, and eighth grade students can continue on in high school, if they chose to do so.

“If you are a seventh grader, please consider applying next year,” Aditi said, “and if you are an eighth grader, consider trying out in high school.”