The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

VRC Books: The latest edition

Ms. Ellen Bickford (left) and Ms. Elizabeth Donovan (right), reading VRC books together.

The new 2023 – 2024 VRC books have been out to read. They range from fantasy books all the way to mystery books. 

“I would recommend people to read these books,” says seventh grader Anjali Mallangi from Dream Team. 

Virginia readers’ choice books are chosen by students, teachers and librarians who vote to choose books that everyone should read. The voting window is from March 1st to April 30th. 

VRC books are there to help kids read more. There are elementary, middle and high school books.  

There are 10 middle school books:

1. “All he knew” by Helen Frost, 
  2. “City spies” by James Ponti, 
  3. “Coop knows the scoop” by Taryn Souders, 
  4. “Flight of the puffin” by Ann Braden, 
  5. “Race to the Bottom of the Earth” by Rebecca E.F. Barone, 
  6. “Star Child” by Ibi Zoboi, 
  7. “The Cuentista” by Donna Barba Higuera, 
  8. “The Magical Imperfect” by Chris Baron, 
  9. “The Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. (as told to his brother)” by David Levithan 
  10. “What Comes Next” by Rob Buyea.

Our librarians have good VRC books that they recommend reading. One book is the Mysterious Disappearance of Aidan S. (as told to his brother), by David Levithan. This book is a fantasy and mystery. It’s about how Aiden S. had a mysterious disappearance for six days told from his older brother’s point of view. 

“It’s what happened in Narnia in the real world version,” says Ms. Elizabeth Donovan. 

Another good book is the race to the bottom of earth, by Rebecca E.F. Barone. This book is nonfiction and talks about the race across antarctica. 

“It’s an action adventure story but all true!” says Ms. Ellen Bickford. 

Some kids like seventh grader, PJ Heintz on the Trail Blazers team, have different opinions about it. 

“It was really hard to follow because there are 4 main characters,” says PJ.

VRC books also have many different kinds of books. They are one of the most popular books in the library. 

“They have a wide range of appeal,” says Ms. Donovan. 

“They also have different formats in the books,” says Ms. Bickford. 

Students can find VRC books in the library. The library has all of the books. You can also find all the books in MackinVIA with digital and audio copies. 

Either way a lot of kids like VRC books. A lot of kids read these books for one reason, an end of the year VRC party! It takes place at the end of the school year.

“I’m doing it only for the ice cream,” says Anjali Mallangi.