The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Mr. Bickford directs his last play at RCMS

RCMS student actors happily take a bow after a great performance.

After 25 years of Mr. Joshua Bickford teaching theater at RCMS, students said goodby with one last play, “The Outsiders.”

For Mr. Bickford’s last play, he tied it to the academics of seventh-graders reading “The Outsiders” in English. “The Outsiders” play is the only play Mr. Bickford has done more than once. It was his first and last play.

It came back around and it was kind of a full circle moment,” said  eighth grader, Mythili  Tripuraneni, of the Dream Team.

Having a good last play was important to Mr. Bickford. This year’s play achieved that goal.

Students Anna Wojciechowski and Averie McLaren, eighth graders on the Dolphins Team, thought that the actors represented their characters well.

“The different actors playing the same parts made it interesting,” said Anna.

Having multiple actors play the same character makes cues more difficult. However Mr. Bickford said he was proud of how everyone took their cues on time.

Students also expressed interest in the death scene of Johnny Cade, who was played by Wyatt Collis, eighth grade, of the Dolphins Team, at the time.

“My favorite part was going on stage and laying under the blanket,” said Wyatt. “It was comfy and I got to lay down.”

This took place during the death scene.

“The Outsiders” production crew said they felt fulfilled and satisfied with the final production. 

“It was really satisfying to see everyone and everything work together so well,” said Wyatt.

Mr. Bickford has done a lot for RCMS. 

“I wanted to go out on a high note,” he said.