The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Results announced for 2023-2024 SCA officers

After about 700 votes from Rachel Carson’s student body were tallied, the six Student Council Association officers were announced on the final Monday of November, and SCA is busy planning events for the coming year.

The votes have concluded that the Student Council will be led by:

1. President Nihal Gorthi, an eighth-grader
  2. Vice President Sri Lasya Bhagavathula
  3. Seventh Grade Ambassador Zahabiya Ghadial
  4. Eighth Grade Ambassador Yuvana Indela
  5. Historian Kaili Shi
  6. Secretary Glorimelle Cunanan

Ananya Sudharshan, 12, seventh-grader on the Trailblazer team and current member of the SCA, said the Student Council officers will lead with confidence and optimism.

I think the current Student Council is great,” Ananya says. “They make a great team, and all of them have responsibility.  I think they would make the school a better place, and RCMS will continue to thrive!” 

Officers are expected to be creative, kind, humble, and passionate about their position in guiding the SCA. Positive traits like the latter will greatly help the new officers continue to lead the way.

“I think that being an officer is being able to help people and plan and organize activities,” said Manasvini, 12, and also an SCA seventh grader on the Champions team.

“In a good SCA candidate I look for qualities such as dignity, respect, responsibility, and leadership,” said Liam Taylor, a 12-year-old seventh grader on the Champions team. “I also look for loyalty to the school and the student body. I really hope that all this year’s candidates will show these qualities and stick with them for the 2023-2024 school year.”

The SCA plans for this year to be like none other. Current event ideas include a skate night, a school dance, and even a trivia night. In favor of students not in the SCA, they will also be accepting new ideas, even if you haven’t joined the council.

“I think RCMS is a great school, and I know that creative minds in the SCA will never bore us, and have amazing ideas for events,” Ananya says. “One of my ideas is, maybe a contest would be neat! It could be any subject, like educational, art, etcetera!”

Manasvini, just like Ananya, has several event ideas too. “If I could plan an event, I would do a fundraiser in the field  to raise money. People who want to can set up a stall to raise money for a charity of their choice.”

“This year I am hoping that the SCA will fundraise and also make sure the school is cleaner,” Liam said. “The fundraising for the school could be done by getting more events planned and also getting the school’s name out into the world.”

The SCA is sponsored by eighth-grade civics teacher Mrs. Anne Thrasher. The club was originally made for students to have a voice in the process of event making and to bring their own ideas to life.

“I expect the SCA to do an amazing job on planning school events and help out around RCMS.” Liam said . 

Ananya also has similar thoughts.

“I think being an officer is a great job to have,” she said. “You get to help people and your school. Being an officer in the student council provides for more team managing skills, and task managing, and leadership qualities. Being an officer, however, does include some responsibilities, so anyone who wants to run for an officer position needs to be willing to be responsible.”