The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

String Ensemble has its first concert of the school year

The RCMS gym was filled with music and applause Nov. 29 as String Ensemble students had their first concert of the school year.

Students played “Jingle Bells” by James Pierpoint and “The Hanukkah Song,” arranged by Llyod Conley.

“I think those two are really good songs,” said Manasvini Lakkavajjala, 12, of Champions team. “I like that one is less complicated and the other is more complicated.”

There are a wide variety of different instruments in String Ensemble. But the most common instrument is the violin. About half the people in the class play the violin.

“I choses the violin because it’s small and I’m small,” said Manasvini.

Mr. Eric Renne is one of the RCMS orchestra teachers. He got inspired to be an orchestra teacher because of his own high school orchestra teacher. He liked his orchestra teacher’s positive attitude.

“I had always enjoyed playing but it was a hobby,” he said. “But in high school, I admired my orchestra teacher.”

To be successful at any instrument you have to put in time and effort.

Nandita Karthik, 12, of Champions team, said, “Per day maybe around 15 to 20 minutes of practice.”

The orchestra teachers have lots of practice material to help students practice. For instance practice logs are a great way to get kids to practice at home.

Mr. Renne said, “Practice logs are really good guides for students. It helps them follow a time pattern.”

This concert is a chance for all of the orchestras to hear each other. This concert is also a chance for parents to hear their children’s progress in music.

“I think all the orchestras were beautiful and played wonderfully!” said Nandita.