The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

The New Year’s resolutions of RCMS

Henry Jiang
TJ Kim, a eighth-grader on the Voyagers team, being nice to Colin Yun, a seventh-grader of the All Stars team, for his New Years Resolution

As the year of 2023 ended on Dec. 31, over one-third of the nation created New Year’s resolutions, including many people of Rachel Carson Middle School.

Luke Bozlinski, 12, of the seventh grade Legacy team is one of these individuals. Luke’s goal is to get more physically active. 

Luke says, “Because I don’t go outside enough.”

This is, in fact, one of the most common New Year’s resolutions according to a Forbes study, improving fitness is one of the most common resolutions with a percentage of 48% of people.

Vrinda Chilukamarri, a 12 year old seventh-grader on the All-Stars team has quite a few New Years resolutions. 

These goals include getting higher grades in math, practice more softball, make more friends, be more organized, and not lose things.

When asked why she decided to have so many resolutions she said, “They help you improve as a person.”

While most people would make resolutions for themselves, Anthony Yu wishes prosperity and health to his family. 

“Normally I wish for a healthy family,” Anthony says when asked about his New Year’s Resolution

Besides wishing for a healthy family Anthony also wants to get good grades, with his goal being to maintain straight A’s, and to keep up his GPA of 4.5. 

To motivate himself, he often thinks about his lifelong goals and keeps it on his mind. 

While most people value New Year’s resolutions, some don’t. One such example is TJ Kim. An eighth-grader on the Voyagers team.

“I think it’s not important because you can start a resolution at any moment,” said TJ.

Although TJ doesn’t think that New Year’s resolutions are important, TJ still has one which is to be nice.

In an opposite manner, Amy Allen, a seventh grade English teacher on the Legacy team, believes New Year’s resolutions work for many people, they’re just not for her.

During her previous resolutions she would go hard on herself when she failed her resolutions. 

“I would beat myself up and then it would be counterintuitive because I would think, ‘well there goes my New Year’s resolution’ because I didn’t complete it every single day. Therefore I just set goals throughout the year instead,” said Ms. Allen.

Regarding her New Year’s resolutions, she believes that they have to be realistic and not too strict.

The reason that she doesn’t do new resolutions is because she thinks that somethings work better for other people, and somethings don’t work as well for some people, and New Year’s resolutions is a thing that doesn’t work as well with her.

“I think with anything in life you have to find the thing that works for you, and what works for you won’t work for everybody,”Ms. Allen said.