The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Exciting twists and turns happen in the 2023/2024 soccer season

The 23/24 soccer season this year has been one of many twists and turns. Many teams are unexpectedly sitting at the top of the multiple leagues.

Jacob Meade, 13, Wolves, is a Liverpool fan. Liverpool are on top of the league this season after a disappointing fifth place finish last season. 

“I’m really happy with how we’re doing this season,” he said.

In the Premier League two other teams are doing great, Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa who are both in the top five but finished seventh and eight respectively last season. 

In the German Bundesliga, Bayer Leverkusen sits at the top being undefeated in all competitions. 

Last season’s winners Bayern Munich, who have won the title 11 years in a row sit second. Bayern Munich have recently signed England’s all-time top scorer Harry Kane from Tottenham Hotspur. Kane has 22 goals in 17 matches. Along with the English Premier League, Jacob also watches the German Bundesliga.

“I think Bayern are very unlucky this season,” he said.

Jacob says that Leverkusen have just been outstanding.

“It’s becoming a trend in the Bundesliga for weaker teams to overperform,” he said.

In the Spanish League, La Liga, we have Girona who are tied with points at the top of the league with giants Real Madrid and are above FC Barcelona.

Angel Benitez, 14, Explorers, is a fan of Real Madrid. He, along with many others, are shocked by Girona’s overachieving performances this season.

“Last season Girona finished mid table, I thought Real Madrid would easily win the league,” he said.

Angel thinks that Girona will not be able to keep this up.

“We see this often in soccer, I think that if Girona wins it might be better since there can be different winners instead of the same outcome every season,” he said.

In Italy’s Serie A, Napoli, last season’s title winners are underperforming as they are eighth. Avid Serie A watcher Luke Joung, 14, Discovery,  believes that this is due to the lack of defensive stability. 

“Last season Napoli had Kim Min-Jae,” he said.

Kim was a South-Korean defender who was signed for $30 Million by Bayern Munich, a German team.

“This season you can really feel that he is not there because Napoli have been conceding many goals,” he said.

All in all, this season has been a very surprising season with many twists and turns. Luke thinks this is great for the sport.

“I hope that in future seasons we can see more unique winners so that the leagues will be more fun to watch,” he said.