The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Competitive clubs of Rachel Carson continue strong

First semester comes to a close and clubs rise

With the first semester coming to an end, competitive clubs are going strong with tournament wins and students feel great about their clubs while learning a lot. Clubs such as the debate club have already participated in two tournaments and dominated.

Ms. Olivia Adams, debate team coach, says, “Coming into our first tournament I did not know how things would go but the team did amazing.”

At Rachel Carson Middle School, there are competitive clubs where students try out and join the team. These clubs compete in different tournaments or conferences in different schools. Each of these clubs require a tryout process where students get selected from. 

According to the Carson Schoology club page, the Technology Students Association, also known as TSA, is about competing in competitions that require students to design and construct STEM (Science, technology, engineering and math) projects.

Adhyan Raj, 12, of Dream, says, “In our club we make unique designs and models to help solve problems.”

The debate club is about students learning how to research, elaborate and talk about important topics in today’s society. This club also helps students with their public speaking skills and how to talk formally.

Ms. Adams says, “Debate is all about learning how to talk about important topics formally and clearly in today’s society.”

Science Olympiad is all about Students participating in an event relating to science subjects such as biology, chemistry, and physics. Students practice and learn their event and compete in competitions with hands on or written tests.

Sriniketh Nagella, 13, of Champions, states, “In my club we have partners and we work on stem based events.”

Model United Nations (MUN), requires students to learn about current events, topics in international relations and diplomacy. Students participate in conferences relating to those topics and have to speak about those topics.

Armaan Gupta, 12, of All-Stars, says, “I really like my club because it helps me learn about current events and talk about them.”

These competitive clubs have something that makes it different from other clubs, and students learn a lot from them. Adhyan Raj, 13, of Dream, speaks about how TSA is challenging but it is worth it because of the things you learn.

I enjoy the club, it is fun to do, but you have to be willing to put a lot of work into your projects, much more than school, ” said Adhyan. “I learn about using different ways to achieve a problem using science, technology, engineering, and art.”

Sriniketh talks about things that stand out for his club and what makes it different. He talks about how the projects look very unique and professional.

Sriniketh says, “I think all our projects stand out, some of the projects are amazing and look as if done by a professional.”

Along with going to clubs, learning and improving, memories are made while a student  is there. Adhyan enjoyed the christmas party with his group and enjoyed playing white elephant.

Adhyan says, “I enjoyed the christmas party, it was really fun, we had so many delicious snacks, and we played a game called the white elephant.”

Joining a competitive club comes with a lot of commitment but also some benefits. Armaan talks about how joining Model United Nations helped him improve his speaking skill along with helping him learn about current events and got him interested in it.

Armaan says, “Joining Model UN helped me realize things that I never even thought of before and I also learned about how to speak properly and formally.”

Along with student talents, teachers have a huge hand in guiding their students. 

The Carson Debate Team went to two tournaments and did very well in both with a majority of their team ranking.

Ms. Adams says she was very proud of her team and says the team can improve on some aspects such as case writing. 

Ms. Adams says, “I think that the team has been performing well and I believe that the team can improve many aspects such as case writing.”