The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

RCMS students and staff react to Super Bowl

The Hollywood Reporter
Mecole Hardman Jr. catches the winning touchdown for the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the San Francisco 49ers, 25-22, on Feb. 11, for the second time since 2020, during Super Bowl LVIII, this time, though, at Allegiant Stadium in Paradise, Nevada.

This year many believed the 49ers would win their first Super Bowl since 1995. But shocking many, the Chiefs came back with a 75-yard drive and a 3-yard pass, leading them to victory. 

This was great news for English teacher, Ms. Amy Allen, of the Legacy team, who had believed the Chiefs would lose, but hoped they would win.

“I love a good love story,” she said. 

Ms. Allen had been traveling earlier that morning, so she planned to watch the game at home with the company of some appetizers. The Chiefs also happen to be her favorite team in the league, Pre-Swifty.

Many other students and staff at RCMS were hoping that Brock Purdy, the 49ers quarterback, would lead his team to victory. He was one of the many reasons Freddy Amorim-Sykes, 12, of the Majestics team, believed the 49ers would win. 

Freddy watched the game at home with family and friends, but planned to stop watching the game at a certain moment.

“Just until I see Taylor Swift,” he said.

According to CBS Sports, the rest of the U.S. and world had also believed the 49ers would win. The 49ers had been favored to win the Super Bowl in a poll by only two points. All that changed the night of the Super Bowl.

“They’re just a better team in general,” said Jaxon Revely, 13, of the Majestics team. 

He remembers watching every New England Patriots game with his dad. Growing up watching and playing football, the sport has grown on him. 

For many, it was not just that the 49ers are a better team but also their dislike for the Chiefs. 

For English teacher, Mr. Stephen Davis, of the Dream team, this was the case.

“I can’t stand the Chiefs,” he said. 

Mr. Davis still remembers his very first Super Bowl. A game where the New York Giants defeated the Buffalo Bills, 20-19, when the Bills missed a field goal in the last 25 seconds.

But then au contraire, Manu Batchala, 12, of the seventh-grade Dream team. Her favorite team happens to be the 49ers. She had planned to watch the game at home with family, friends, and food.

Now the Chiefs are looking forward to next year to make history and be the first team ever to win three Super Bowls in a row.