The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

RCMS students and staff dance the night away at the Valentines Day Dance

April Wood
RCMS students Carlyn Manning and Kelby Lublin wait by the entrance of the gym for the rest of their friends.

Loud music blasts from speakers in the gym as clumps of students cascade down the hallway as they form a line for the photobooth. 

“I wanted to experience a middle school dance,” said seventh-grader Genna Anderson, 12, of the Champions team.

This year’s dance featured a photo booth, pizza and water, and a gym full of kids.

For many, the photo booth was the highlight of the evening. Some even went back for a third, fourth, or fifth time. As for those who didn’t endure the lengthy line, they decided to stay in the gym, only leaving for a slice of pizza and a water bottle. 

A lot of the students that went to the dance chose to go because of their friends.

“All my friends were going,” said eighth-grader Savion Gwyn, 13, of the Explorers team.

In the distance between the gym, cafeteria, and photobooth stood teachers, who, like students, had to sign up/volunteer to be at the dance.

“I like to help out and I knew I would see a lot of my students,” said Orchestra teacher, Ms. Devyn Wilcox. Ms. Wilcox said her favorite part about volunteering was getting to see her students and dancing to every Taylor Swift song that came on.

Although students said the dance was great, next year they hope for more food, the ability to use their phones, and two photo booths. 

Seventh-grader Mahsa Raheen, 14, of the Majestics team hopes for more people at next year’s dance. “More fun music and more people,” she said.

Overall, students described this year’s dance as fun.

For Genna, she described it as a well-known motto:

“Live. Laugh. Love,” she said,