The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Saint Patrick’s Day parade registration begins

Residents of Virginia begin to register for the Greater Manassas St. Patrick’s Day Parade on March 9 in Old Town Manassas in honor of celebrating Saint Patrick’s Day.

Many people celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day with music, dancing, and many other festivities. Parades are a popular Saint Patrick’s Day celebration, taking place all over the world. Other traditions include wearing green, pinching people who aren’t wearing green, enjoying a meal of corned beef and cabbage, searching for four-leaf clovers, and making leprechaun traps.

The city of Manassas is holding its annual Saint Patrick’s Day Parade once again. The parade is open to everyone and will take place at 11 a.m., regardless of the weather. Members of the Manassas Committee encourage wearing green and any other Saint Patrick’s Day swag to the parade.

If you are planning to participate in the Greater Manassas St. Patrick’s Day Parade, remember to fill out the form located in the Greater Manassas Parade website. The registration fee to participate in the parade is a total of $50. Since the parade length is limited, priority will be given to participants who submit entry forms first. Early registration is recommended for this reason.

The people of Ireland began to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day in the 10th century as a religious holiday. As time went by, the holiday began to evolve and became a day where Irish culture was celebrated. While Saint Patrick’s Day started as a prominently Irish celebrated day, it has grown to the point where people all over the world celebrate this day.

While fun to celebrate and take part in, it is also important to make sure everyone stays safe during the parade. Parade Marshals wearing bright, yellow vests will be located along the parade course to provide help if needed. It is also crucial that members not participating in the parade stay on the sidelines to watch. Finally, participants should follow the parade route provided at the beginning of the parade, to avoid getting off track.