The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

County summer camp registration opens, offering a variety of camps

Spring and summer camp registration opened on Jan. 23, providing camps to learn art, cooking, sports, STEM, and more. Waitlists for these camps will be accessible at 10 a.m. on April 2.

Families can register online on Partakes online or by phone at 703-222-4664. Camps can cost from $80-$180, but if you register by May 5, you can have an $8 discount.

Completed camp forms should be bought on the first day of camp. The person picking you up needs to have an ID with them.

Cancellations and transfers must be requested by two weeks before camp, and will be assessed a $25 processing fee unless you have a doctor’s note on why you cannot participate in the camp. 

Teenagers 14 and older can train to be a counselor at these camps. The CIT (Counselor in Training) program is made for teens who want to enhance their leadership and communication skills.  The fee is $165, and the selected CITs will be assigned to a counselor and be given a list of tasks to complete during camp.

Some counselors in summer camps are teachers. Most are college students that plan on majoring in education or recreation. According to the county website, all staff are “at least 18 years old, first aid and CPR certified, pass through reference and national criminal background checks and are vetted through Child Protective Services Central Registry.”