The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

TSA chapter competes at Regionals

Kate Russell

The RCMS Technology Student Association (TSA) chapter competed at Regionals on March 2 at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. It won a total of 10 awards in the top three places as well as competing in many other events.

“[The events] were hard,” Hansika Yakkala, a returning eighth grade member, said, “but when we put a lot of effort in, it went well.”

Members of the chapter had the opportunity to choose individual and team events such as Essays on Technology, Flight, Structural Engineering, and STEM Animation.

“We created an animation on robotics in the medical field,” said Neha Senthilkumar, who competed in STEM Animation. “We used Capcut to edit and Google Slides for the animation. It was pretty good when we didn’t procrastinate.”

This year’s Regionals featured a larger chapter participating in more events than before after succeeding at the first competition of the year, Fall Events. As part of the Northern Regional Fair, Carson competed against Mark Twain Middle School, Rocky Run Middle School, and a few others.

“It was a bit challenging, but it was more fun with friends because we have a wider chapter this year,” Hansika said.

Members who placed in the top three at Regionals or the top five at Fall Events qualify to continue. They will compete at the state competition, Technosphere, at the Hampton Roads Convention Center in May. Technosphere has higher competition standards, more competitors from all regions of Virginia, and a greater variety of events.

“We placed second at Technosphere last year,” Ms. Sona Sharma-Chibber, the chapter advisor, said in a message to members. “Our returning students want to place equally well or better this year.”