The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

RCMS students finalize course selections for next year

Annie Wang, of the Discovery Team, reviews her course selections, for next year, on SIS (StudentVUE)
Courtesy of Deeptha Vijayasarathy

After spending time making difficult decisions about next year’s classes this winter, RCMS students are happy with the course selections they have made.

Annie Wang, an eighth-grader on the Discovery Team, shared that she was looking for specific details in the ninth-grade course selection options at Oakton High, her high school. 

“I mostly looked at courses that had academic potential,” she said. 

Karina Haile, a seventh-grader on the Dream Team, hopes to take Spanish and continue taking band next year. Most people take a language in the hopes to get a head start on their advanced diploma requirements, but Karina has a special reason to take Spanish her eighth-grade year. 

She said, “It’s going to be really nice to be able to communicate with my grandparents.” 

The counselors at RCMS created presentations about the course selections that were shared with students during Panther Time, on Jan. 9. Students were then expected to select five core subjects (math, English, science, history, and P.E.), as well as two to four electives (full year and semester). 

All course selections were submitted to the Counselor’s Office by Jan. 25. Shortly after, counselors began to review these submissions and visited science classrooms to finalize student course decisions.

Mrs. Christy Ryder, counselor of the All Stars and Explorers teams, explained that the course selections were a lengthy process. Counselors met with each elective teacher at RCMS and met with teachers at the high schools students would be attending.

“Your input is very important when building the master schedule,” she said. “We look at what needs to change based on the selection sheets.”

According to Mrs. Ryder, students can choose a maximum of two full-year electives in high school, but there are many more course options. She also mentioned that choosing courses that will both challenge and entertain you is important.

“Middle school is the time to try things you are not exposed to,” she said. “Choosing things that you’re interested in or want to try is important, but it’s all about balance.”

Ms. Heather Sullivan, the seventh- and eighth-grade FACS teacher, said RCMS offers more elective options than other middle schools. She also explained that all electives at Carson were popular, which is why some students may not get the electives they had initially chosen.

“I am only allowed to teach about 300 students,” said Ms. Sullivan. “We had 421 students sign up for FACS this school year, and over 400 signed up for FACS next year.”

Rising eighth-graders spent over three months deciding the courses they would be taking next school year. Some students decided they wanted to take different electives next year, while others chose to pick the same electives. 

Mouktika Kamarupalle, 13, of the seventh-grade Champions Team, shared that she looked at courses that would help her in high school. She mentioned that she spent a lot of time debating between the different courses offered at RCMS. She also explained that asking around at school was one thing that helped her choose her electives.

“I went back and forth between electives, and I definitely spent a lot of time talking to my parents,” said Mouktika. “I also asked around. My friends gave me recommendations that matched my preferences.”

Many students choose to take a geometry course over the summer, in order to take Algebra 2 in their eighth-grade year. Karina said she was still debating about taking Geometry over the summer.

“It’s going to take a lot of dedication and focus,” she said. “I’m just not too sure right now.”

Rising ninth-grade-students had the opportunity to listen to representatives talk about different FCPS high schools, and some students had the opportunity of visiting their respective schools. 

Annie believes there should be a balance between courses that regard her interests and courses that academically enrich her. 

“If you take too many courses of your interest, academic potential is undiscovered,” she said. “You need a good mix.”