The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Students prepare for upcoming SOLs

Zahra Haji
Isha Katti, 13, of the Champions team, reviews math on May 16 for the SOLs.

RCMS students have been preparing for the SOLs on May 16, 20 and 22, with different resources and review material for math, reading and science.

“I just review the packets they give me,” said Anjali Mallangi, 12, of Dream Team.

SOLs, Standard of Learning tests, measure the success of students in meeting the board of education’s expectations for learning. Seventh-graders will be taking the reading and math SOL, and eighth-graders will be taking the science SOL along with reading and math. The tests are taken on an online testing application called Testnav. In preparation for the upcoming tests, laptops will be updated for changes. 

Online resources like Lexia and Mathspace are being used by many students to help with studying. Some find the apps useful, and some find them ineffective.

“Lexia is pretty helpful, but still a little bit of a nuisance,” said Anjali. 

Many students are also using resources provided by their teachers. These resources include math packets and notes from classes. 

Isha Katti, 13, of the Champions team shared that she likes to review her notes, split up studying and create study guides for herself.

“I usually like to review my notes first and then I like to go through the resources my teachers give me,” said Isha. “At the end of all my studying I take a break with food and my favorite TV show.”

Studies have shown that techniques like rewriting notes, flashcards and creating a study plan can help students be better prepared and organized. It is shown that these methods can help time management, along with student grades.

“I like to use the process of elimination when I’m doing multiple choice tests,” said Fatema Haji, 13, of Dream team.

Other popular resources include practice tests from past years SOLS. 

With the school year almost over, Isha said it’s easy to balance out SOL studying, with less non-SOL related schoolwork, as most content has been fully covered in subjects like math.

“Generally around this time there’s not much work so it makes it easier to balance all that,” she said.

Many students face the pressure of the SOLs and other final exams. According to Mayo Clinic, stress can alter sleep and eating habits. It is shown that some are unable to concentrate on school subjects and activities.

While the SOLs can cause stress, they can also prove to be useful for many. Students shared that they can help to know what to expect on final exams and motivate them to work harder in school with the pressure of getting a good score at the end of the year.

Some shared that they are nervous and confident for this year’s SOLs. Anjali shared that she reviews math packets and does material during English class to help her prepare.

“I just study a lot,” she said.