The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Summer Olympics makes a grand return to Paris

By: Aarav Patel
First Olympic Stadium Athens, Greece

Within a few months arrives the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris, a huge event for athletes.

The Summer Olympics are held every four years, the summer and winter Olympics are alternated between the four-year gap.  It includes many different sports and cultures.

“I love watching gymnastics, tennis and beach volleyball,” Mrs. Breenae Polo Hackett said, a seventh-grade PE teacher. “Tennis is always fun as I am excited to watch Coco Gauff perform — she is young, athletic and an amazing tennis player.”

“As a kid I used to compete in gymnastics,” she said. “I used to love it.”

This huge event contains 36 sports with over 10,000 athletes, lasting from July 26 until August 11. The Olympics required 45,000 volunteers to uphold the events. There are 329 events with many sub-categories for each sport. It accumulates to 350,000 hours of TV broadcast with billions of viewers, which include 15 million tourists.

On the other hand, Chloe Carter, an eighth-grader on the Voyagers, is excited for another sport.

“I’m excited for basketball and field,” she said.

Chloe also stated that she would like to add cheese rolling as a sport.

“Cheese Rolling is a fun sport,” she said.

Cheese rolling is a sport where cheese is rolled down a mountain and people have to tumble down the hill to be the first to get to the bottom. First one to get down wins the roll of cheese.

The Ancient Games started in Olympia, Greece, from 776 BC through 393 AD. After around 1500 years, it was rebirthed. The first Olympic Games were held in Athens, Greece, in 1869. The founder of the Modern Olympics was a Frenchman named Baron Pierre de Coubertin.

“I chose to support the USA,” Zach Paul said, a seventh-grader on the All Stars team. “But I am most excited for the Javelin Throw,” he said. “It is fun and entertaining.”

“I am excited to see who wins this year’s Summer Olympics.”