The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Eighth graders get ready to graduate by kicking off with a party

Sienna Baltrym
Jackson Fuerst,14, eighth-grader on the Dolphins team practices his smile for the eighth grade party.

RCMS eighth-graders will attend a party on June 7  from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at Rachel Carson Middle School to celebrate their middle school years.

The annual eighth-grade graduation party is coming up. This year the theme of the event will be Hawaiian luau. There will be food and drinks along with some games for the rising ninth-graders to enjoy. Eighth graders can sign up with the post Ms. Anne Thrasher sent on Schoology. 

“As long as I can remember it’s been going on. I think it started a couple of years after the school opened,” Mr. Gordon Stokes, principal of RCMS, said. “I know it has been over a decade.”

Since Mr. Stokes became principal nine years ago, he has gone to every graduation and party. 

“I like the excitement of the arrival,” he said. “There is usually a point where people dance in big group songs like the Cha Cha Slide. And, in previous years there have been photo booths, karaoke, and even a bouncy house.”

Mr. Stokes said, “It’s somewhat like the Valentines Dance but a little fancier.” 

Administrators are allowed to come and join the party if they please. Teachers can also attend.  Mr. Stokes said he only really went once he became a principal, since he used to be a seventh-grade teacher before.  

Events like this can help students remember the good times of middle school. For some it could also be their last time seeing some of their friends. 

“The tough part about Carson is that they go to four different high schools, so some kids won’t see their students/classmates ever again,” Mr. Stokes said. “It’s a bummer.”

Students could also be feeling a little anxious to be going to another school. 

Arnika Vaddi, 13, eighth-grader on the Wolves team, said, “I’m scared but excited and sad I won’t be at the same school as some of my friends.” 

Arnika also said she is looking forward to going with her friends and is expecting good food.

Jackson Fuerst, 14 , eighth-grader on the Dolphins team is going to the party.

Jackson said, “I’m really excited because of the fun experiences and new friends I can make there.”

Another reason he is excited is because this could be one of the last times with some of his friends before they go to different high schools.

“It will be good to have all the friends getting together for a big party,” he said.  

Jackson will be going to Oakton High School and is excited to go next year. Since the theme of the party is Hawaiian, he is going to wear a Hawaiian shirt.

“I rate the party a 20/10,” he said.