The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

RCMS hosts World Cube Association cubing competition

Radhika+Deshpande%2C12%2C+of+the+champions+team+practices+solving+the+2+by+2+Rubix+Cube+to+prepare+for+the+next+competition+
Priya Deshpande
Radhika Deshpande,12, of the champions team practices solving the 2 by 2 Rubix Cube to prepare for the next competition

“The competition was a dream come true,” said Nihal Gorthi, 14, Discovery, founder of RCMS’s Rubik’s Cube Club.  

Nihal said his main goal for making the cubing club was hosting a cubing competition at RCMS, and that dream came true on May 4.

The World Cube Association held a cubing competition in the cafeteria. Many world record holders present, including Zayne Khanani, Hassan Khanani, Liam Chen and Max Siauw.    

Before this, all of the competitions were online, so the cubing team said that made this one especially prominent.   

In the competition, Max won with an average of 6.13 seconds in the 3x3x3 Cube event. Zayne won the 2×2 event with a best of 0.89 and Hassan won the square one event with a best of 4.18. Liam Chen won the 3×3 blindfolded event with an average of 19.43.

The winners for the other events were Ari Randers-Pehrson for the 4x4x4 and Wesley Chase for the rubix  clock.

“I was really excited,” Nihal said when he was explaining how it felt to meet the world record holders.   He said meeting them was a significant experience for him.  He was very thrilled to see everyone coming to the competition 

He said that this competition went pretty smoothly but he could’ve used some practice. 

“I think I did okay but not my best performance” says Nihal. 

He thinks he can still improve on his cubing with time and dedication. He says there are always ways that you can improve in cubing. He is always striving to learn new ways to solve cubes and he keeps practicing to master the new techniques.

Another member of the club, Jasmine Wang, 13, from the legacy team, says that she had a pretty good performance. 

“I really did well,” says Jasmine.

In this competition she got six personal records. She thinks this competition ran smoothly and was pretty organized. She says this is one of her favorite competitions because she worked very hard and she thinks she did really well. 

One student named Josh Diamond, 13, of the All Stars team, was the head organizer of the competition along with Nihal and Sid. Josh helped everyone register and was the link of communication. He also came the day before to set up the competition.

“I felt pretty good and proud of what everyone can do,”  said Josh. 

He says it was very cool to meet the world record holders and took a lot of photos with them. He thinks the competition went very smoothly. 

“I did slightly worse in some events and better in the others,” says Josh.

He says some events were pretty hard but he managed to go through them. He also did a blindfold round where he solved his cube without opening his eyes. 

He, along with the rest of the cubers, meet every week on Wednesday to practice and socialize. 

“It’s a part of my Wednesday,”  says Ms. Lori Molnar, sponsor of the club.  

Ms. Molnar hosts the cubing club in D108. She says she really likes watching all the students cube. She thinks they get involved very well and they practice a lot. A few students have tried teaching her but she doesn’t cube. She believes that the cubing club community is very well mannered and supportive of each other.  

Mrs. Molnar went to the competition to see her students compete. She says she was very surprised about the way they organized the competition. There were many events and rounds for cubers to compete. She says the cubers who came to compete from other places were also very great. 

She thinks the cubing competition went really well and that it went very smoothly.  She says she really enjoyed seeing everyone in the competition cube. She thinks everyone got involved a lot in their time and dedication into the competition. 

Ms.  Molnar said, “I really enjoyed seeing my cubers shine and do what they loved. ”