A True All-Star

Getting to know Ms. Mann

The All-Stars’ English Teacher is true to her name. Ms. Mann is not only a dedicated teacher, but she is also a very enterprising member of the SCA. This is Ms. Mann’s second year at RCMS, and she has loved getting to know our school and it’s students.

Even as a child, Ms. Mann always knew that she wanted to be teacher. She wanted to teach middle school because “Middle schoolers are old enough to use higher level thinking skills, but still young enough to show enthusiasm.” Ms. Mann went to Virginia Tech for her Bachelors’ degree and Masters’ degree in Education. She also student taught at Blacksburg High School in Montgomery County, before transferring to Rachel Carson Middle School. “I loved middle school and I want to help my students recognize what a great time in their life this is.” Ms. Mann explained .

Ms. Mann has had some amazing influences throughout her life that attracted her to teaching. Mrs. Poole, the Champions’ English teacher, was actually Ms. Mann’s sixth grade teacher! Mrs. Poole taught Ms. Mann how to interact with students. Another great role model of Ms. Mann’s was her fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Reinbold. “She was funny, but commanding, she taught me how to be a balanced teacher.”

Ms. Mann has always loved English class, so it was the perfect subject for her to teach. When she was younger, she was a very lazy student and didn’t like to study. “In English, all we had to do was write papers and I have always enjoyed writing.” Ms. Mann loves the fact that there is never a right or wrong answer in English. “English teaches you how to analyse, evaluate and communicate. Those are all very important skills.”

While Ms. Mann does enjoy everything she teaches, her favorite part is teaching her students about The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. It is a hit with the students every year. She loves the way the book is written and she thinks the characters are intriguingEven though S.E. Hinton is one of Ms. Mann’s favorite authors, she also loves to read books by Jane Austen, Ernest Hemingway, and William Shakespeare.

Not only does Ms. Mann teach English, but she also helps manage the SCA. “I love getting students excited about the events. It is important for students to build relationships with each other outside of a school setting.” She enjoys getting to know her students outside of her classroom. “It builds community.”

When Ms. Mann isn’t inspiring students in the classroom, she likes to watch old movies, like the Godfather trilogy, because Marlon Brando is her favorite actor. Ms. Mann also loves to hike. She likes being around water, whether it is canoeing on a lake or hiking near a river.

One of Ms. Mann’s students, Molly, says “Ms. Mann is the best English teacher I’ve ever had. Her patience and enthusiasm encourages us to learn.”