Students once again enjoy Fields of Fear

After missed opportunities during the pandemic, students last fall were able to enjoy Fields of Fear, a nail biting horror experience.

The horror experience was open every Friday and Saturday night, but  closed fully on Nov. 6. It takes place at Cox Farms located  in Centreville, Virginia. Even with the vaccine out now, they were still mandating masks. 

There are a total of four rides, which are Cornightmare, The Forest:Back 40, Dark Side Hayride, and The Firegrounds. On each of the rides or trails, there are people, dressed up, jumping out and scaring visitors. Of course there are plenty of other things to do other than the ride. There are slides, kid areas, food stands, and markets. 

One of the rides that a favorite of some students was the Darkside Hayride. It’s when you go on a tractor that somebody else is driving and then are jumpscares and chainsaws along the way.

“It’s like the type of scary that scares you in the moment but it’s not enough to give you nightmares,” said Maya Younes, a seventh-grader here at Rachel Carson Middle School. 

Maya went with a friend but also kept her guard up because she knew there was a jumpscare coming up.

“I felt bad for the younger kids going in,” she said.

However, Libby Leon Guerrero, also a seventh grader, Rachel Carson student, was kind of disappointed.

”It was very misleading,” she said. She wanted it to be scary for the thrill but it mostly ended up being family-friendly. Most of the time she was planning ahead, trying to figure out where the jumpscares were. She thought the tickets were not really worth the price but was okay since she went with friends.

When asked if she would recommend going with other people, she responded, “Well it kind of depends on the people you’re going with.”

A tip she had was: “Don’t plan ahead, just live in the moment.”

Marriam Raza, an eighth-grader at RCMS, said that the Forest was her favorite because it was thrilling. She thought it was a bonding experience with the people you’re going with since there were many jumpscares. She also said her ticket cost $30.

“The food lines were ridiculously long,” she said.

She then added, “It was definitely worth the money!”