New SCA takes office

The SCA elections recently ended, with the president being Jaeda Hunter. The election took place on Oct. 22, and the results were announced on the 25th of October. This left little time to vote, but the students still came through and voted.

For the seventh-grade ambassador, we have Rijuta Purankar. For the eighth-grade ambassador, we have Michelle Zuo. The secretary is Keya Shah. For historian we have Hannah Kim. For vice president, we have Laila Kebaish. And finally, for president, we have Jaeda Hunter.

What the SCA does is try to make a change in the school, by giving the school some opinions from the students so they can improvise on their current situation, making it a better learning environment. 

“The president can only be an eighth grader, because they make the biggest changes,” said Rijuta.

As secretary, Keya is required to take notes in the SCA meetings so they can look back on previously proposed ways to help the school.

“I want this year to be fun,’’ Keya said.

She said ran because she wants to make this year better for all of us by trying to make it more fun. She said last year was basically an empty time because we all were trapped inside our own homes away from fun and friends.

She doesn’t plan to run again next year.

“I don’t want to go again because I wanna give others the chance to do it,’’ said Keya. 

As seventh-grade ambassador, Rijuta is meant to answer questions and inquiries. She said that she ran because she wanted to do something that created change in the school, and also because she thought that making a difference would help the school and wanted to do that in any way possible. 

She said, “I just love being involved.” 

Leila, as vice president, wants to make service hours more available.  Originally she didn’t think she would win because she didn’t know many people, but she did.

After the first meeting, Laila said, “It isn’t that hard, but then again we only had one meeting.” She hasn’t decided if she wants to run next year because she wants to see how this year goes.

Michelle, the eighth-grade ambassador, said one of her goals is to make the SCA more known in the school and to make the school more positive.

“Currently I just want to do my best to make everyone more involved in the SCA,” she said, “through the events we host and make a better school environment through SCA.” 

Michelle wants to make school more fun with more events. She is also thinking of ideas for school events.

“I plan to host a dance at the end of the year, and hopefully donate some of the money that comes in through it to charity,” she said. 

The SCA is meant to inspire change in the board, with the help of the student voice. With this team ready to go, many students are looking forward to seeing this year play forward.