Students win art honors

Eight RCMS students were among close to 500 Fairfax County students who were awarded by the 2022 Regional Scholastic Art Program for outstanding art work..

A total of 497 awards have been awarded to students in seventh to 12th grade for excellent artwork, all students of FCPS.

This included 160 silver key awards and 177 honorable mentions. The highest award was the gold key, which was awarded to 160 students, including two RCMS students. Four works were nominated for the best in show American visions.

According to the FCPS website, the artworks were judged in the following categories: drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, ceramics, sculpture, digital art, design, architecture, jewelry, fashion, film and animation, mixed media, and portfolios.

Gold key and silver key artworks will be displayed at  Northern Virginia’s Community Colleges Ernst Community Cultural Center in Annandale, and award ceremony will be held Feb. 23.

Gold key award pieces will be judged along with other gold key pieces from regions across the country. The national awards include gold and silver medals, scholarships, and monetary awards.

National award winners will be set forth on March 23, and an exhibit in New York of all their artworks will be put on display later this year.