Model UN: Preparing students for life

Kabeer Parmar holding a gavel, an award given to the best delegate in each committee.

As you enter the conference room, you feel a sense of anticipation and readiness to engage in lively debates. You represent a country and actively participate in discussions, negotiation, and resolution drafting throughout the day.

You work with other delegates, exchanging ideas, building alliances, and defending your country’s positions on global issues. As the conference progresses, the debates become more challenging.

By the end of the day, everyone gathers for the closing ceremony, and reflect on the achievements of the conference, celebrate the resolutions passed, and acknowledge outstanding delegates for their contributions. 

Model UN is a club offered by RCMS that is a simulation of the United Nation General Assembly in which students play the role of world leaders and ambassadors. Conferences are competitions held in high schools where the students debate over topics such as civil rights. The members go to different committees depending on their topic. In the committees delegates propose different plans to solve the given problem. 

“No particular skills are necessary, all you need is to be confident, you need to speak and let the chairs [judges] hear your discussions,” said Arjun Garg, eighth-grader on the Discovery team.

Also to be a good member of Model UN, delegates should be willing to come to the meeting and the conferences that take place over the weekends. The delegates should also be willing to complete their research and compete with other schools.  

“Model UN is a club that improves many skills such as social skills, public speaking and writing skills,” said Kabeer Parmar, an eighth-grader on the Explorers team. 

Model UN isn’t just a club in which you compete with other people. The club prepares you for real world issues and problems.

“I liked that the kids had a chance to learn more about the world, giving them good practice for public speaking,” said Mr. Brian Corman, the Civics Teacher on the Yellowjackets team and the sponsor of Model UN.

Mr. Corman isn’t the only one that feels that way about Model UN.

Tanish Reddy Gottimukkula, an eighth-grader on the Discovery team, said, “I believe that Model UN has a key role in connecting with your community as well as learning adequate knowledge of real world topics and issues. For example, in the past TechMUN conference, we have talked about topics such as euthanasia and the mortality rates of refugees.”

Model UN isn’t just a place of work; the delegates have lots of fun and different experiences to share. A fun part about model UN is creating solutions with other delegates that improves your skills about social relations and friendships among delegates, who later become your friends.

Arjun said, “The most fun I’ve had was during  DHAMUN, which was my third conference, which was where I really got to expound on the true MUN experience. This was a very enjoyable topic to discuss, climate change. This was very enjoyable because many people had solutions which resulted in a very delightful conference experience.”

For students interested in joining the club the tryouts are a two-part process that take place in the fall of every year.

“So, first I attended an interesting meeting which gave adequate information about the club and the roles and responsibilities that are associated with the club,” said Arjun. “Then I wrote the position paper. A position paper is a paper that states about your stance to the problem as well as the solutions that you have. If you pass that round, the next round is a Q&A about our position paper in front of a group of senior members.” 

Model UN is a great opportunity for up and coming seventh and eighth graders who want to experience real world scenarios and debate with other people.

“Model UN is a fun club and people should try out next year,” said Kabeer.