The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Tucker, RCMS therapy dog, returns after beating cancer

Mrs. Laura Doyle (left) the owner of the Tucker said, “Every time we come its special.” Mrs. Sybil Terry (Right) said, “Tucker is very positive.”

Tucker, an eight-year-old dog at RCMS is back after beating cancer, coming every Thursday this year.

Tucker had malignant cancer which is a type that can spread through the body. It was a tumor the size of a nickel. 

Mrs. Mavis Botcheway from the front office was very sad to hear the news about Tucker.

“My heart was broken when I found out he had cancer, he brought tears to my eyes,” she said.

Tucker’s owner Laura Doyle accompanies him through the halls and classrooms. She says she does it to give back.

To get Tucker to come to your room, ask your teachers to email Mrs. Sybil Terry for Tucker time.

They started to come at RCMS in Feb of 2018. They came in 2019, and in 2020 they stopped and came back in 2022.

Ms. Doyle says he used to go to many other places, but now he just goes here.

“He’s gone to Fairfax, and Madison high school. Also to Prince William hospital, and retirement homes,” she said.

Tucker has been on many things like the news and in the every year book in the eighth grade section.

Collins Han, a 13-year-old eighth-grader, on the Dolphins team, says that Tucker helps a lot.

“If you need a break he’s here to help you take your mind off things,” said Collins. “He helps people who are struggling.” 

TJ Kim, 13, on the Voyagers team, thinks he’s a help to the people around Tucker.

TJ said, “Everyone bonds over seeing him!”

Tucker came upon our school by a social worker looking for a therapy animal. She contacted Ms. Doyle which led to him here at RCMS.

Principal Mr. Gordon Stokes said at first he was skeptical about having Tucker at our school because he’s afraid of dogs, but the first time he saw Tucker, he knew this was a good thing.

Mr. Stokes said, “He brings smiles to people and brings positivity.”

He even said he’d be open to having more animals as part of our school.