The Carson Chronicle

The student news site of Rachel Carson Middle School

The Carson Chronicle

The Carson Chronicle

Teachers recall stories for Veterans Day

Jiwon yang
Ms. Heather Sullivan, Facs teacher, served 4 years in the army as military intelligence officer.

For Veterans Day on Nov. 11, families and friends celebrated the estimated 17.9 million U.S. veterans. Behind each veteran is a story.

Ms. Heather Sullivan, FACS teacher, served in the U.S. Army for four years after college and before becoming a teacher.

“I kind of wanted to do something different and wasn’t ready to teach just yet,” she said. “For me just like many others the military provided security while you’re still trying to figure it out.”

So Ms. Sullivan decided to join the Army after college. She was ranked E-4 and got to pick where she wanted to be stationed and her MOS (Military Occupational Specialty, aka job). She was stationed in Hawaii at Schofield Barracks. She met with President Clinton and other important officials on many occasions.

Mrs. Becca Isoldi Majestic, seventh-grade history teacher, didn’t serve in the military but lots of her family have.

Mrs. Isoldi’s father, brother, brother in law and grandfather all served in the navy. Both her brother and brother-in-law are still serving in the military and have been serving about 10 to 15 years.

Her family moved almost every two years. She said it was hard to move and she still hates moving to this day. But she said it also helped her get closer to her family and  figure out who was going to be a good friend. She also got to see lots of cool things.

“It’s hard to be a military connected kid but there’s also some really great parts too,” said Mrs. Isoldi

Ms. Sullivan recognizes the good parts about being in the military.

She said, “I had a steady paycheck, housing, food, uniforms, as well as health and dental care. The only drawback is the fact that the government owns you when you join the military — to them you’re a soldier first and foremost. If they need you to do something or be somewhere, you do it.”

Ms. Sullivan was reactivated to fight in Afghanistan. As she was preparing to return to her unit in Hawaii she ended up not having to go, but it was hard knowing some of her friends from her unit did end up going.

“I am very grateful for the heroes in my unit that did not return alive,” she said.