While students enjoy hallway music, some prefer more variety

Aashritha Penumudi

While many students enjoy the music, Sathwika Vummadi, eighth-grade Dolphin, does not think it is relevant enough. ‘It’s something adults would like,’ she says.

In celebration of the Indian festival Holi, the Bollywood song “Lungi Dance” resounded through the halls on the morning of March 18. While this one was different from the typical song chosen, all of the songs get students moving faster to their next class.

Many students have enjoyed the creative reminder to get to class.

Carson plays songs between classes, and while the exact start date is unknown, the tradition dates prior to 2015. The main goal of the music was to curb tardiness. Rather than the classic bell that instantly marked students as tardy, the music provides a subconscious reminder that there was still a period of time before the bell rang.

“It helps you get to class earlier and to prevent unnecessary tardiness,” said Kavin Narayanan, an eighth-grader on the Dolphins team.

Songs are currently selected through a Google form created by Ms. Carrie Guild, a history teacher on the All-Stars team. While Ms. Guild picks most of the songs, teacher and student recommendations are also considered. The form includes questions regarding the song and a description. Students can email Ms. Guild with suggestions and a description, keeping in mind that suggested songs must be relevant and school appropriate.

Principal Gordon Stokes enjoys reading the descriptions, as it allows him to connect more with the teachers.

“I think it’s been fun because it gives you just a tiny little glimpse into something that isn’t part of their professional life, more of their personal life,” said Mr. Stokes. “It provides a little story.”

After the songs are selected by Ms. Guild, they are then sent to Mr. Roger Tiangco. Mr. Tiangco takes a part of the song to play. The clips used to be collected from an iPod with roughly 200 songs, but as time passed, he has used YouTube clips instead, which are then looped on the PA.

The songs can sometimes also reflect a theme. In celebration of the school’s 20th anniversary in 2018, a song was played once a week that was popular in the 90s, as the school had opened in 1998. Some students feel that these songs are empowering.

“I like the ones that they played in the beginning [of the year],” said Sirichandana Yakkala, eighth-grade Voyager. “They made me feel happy and ready for class.”

However, some students would like to hear music they connect better with. In a survey with 31 responses, 64.5% of students rated the music currently played at a 1 out of 5. Some students also felt that songs are not as entertaining anymore, and would prefer less country music, and more new and diverse songs instead. Throughout the entire year, only three to four non-English songs have been played.

“I would like to see more cultural representation in music,” said Dhaya Kumaresan, an eighth-grader on the Voyagers team. “Right now, all we have are American songs. Maybe for religious holidays, we could have songs that are from that religion or that country so that way we could represent Carson more.”

Teachers and staff are also excited to learn more about students through their music choice and also learn about different parts of the school community. It provides an opportunity for them to connect with each other.

“I think it is cool that students will suggest something,” said Mr. Stokes. “Yes, it is helping to curb tardiness, but it is a song that people might find interesting and fun, to celebrate a group in the building or a student.”