Cooking club — a culinary adventure

Anne Mitchell

Students start working on their delicacies after directions for the new recipe are given by Ms. Heather Sullivan, the Cooking club teacher.

Excitement fills the Family and Consumer Sciences room after school every Tuesday as students rummage through cabinets for ingredients, scurry around the room for utensils and yell across the room to grab their teacher’s attention. These students are in for a treat, literally. 

Cooking club is one of the most popular clubs at RCMS, proven by the fact that the signup form is full in a matter of seconds, sometimes milliseconds. 

“It is an alternative for students that didn’t get into FACS,” said Mrs. Heather Sullivan, the RCMS FACS teacher.

The club, taking place in C138 (otherwise known as the FACS room), is a club dedicated to cooking, creating and eating. The club takes place on Tuesdays after school, during A and B block. It almost always has a full roster of 30 students. 

“A lot of people like to cook and enjoy eating the end result,” said Iris Jin, a seventh-grade student on the Trailblazers team.

Cooking club was first initiated by two previous teachers, and COVID-19 had a serious effect on the popularity of cooking club.

“People may have been worried about working in a large group with food during the pandemic,” said Mrs. Sullivan.

The club is always loved by students of seventh and eighth grade alike.

“Cooking is an important skill for your adult life,” said Isabella Killer, seventh-grader on Legacy team.

Students take more than the aspect of cooking out of the club.

“I learned how to be more cautious in the kitchen and in other places,” said Siri Devaraj, a seventh-grader on Majestics.

Students enjoy the treats they get to create in the club, as well as the ways they can execute their artistic talent and creativity. They have said that it’s easy to follow the instructions necessary to make these treats. 

“Mixing the ingredients together and working with other people is an important part of cooking club,” said Iris.

Students can sign up for cooking club by filling out the sign-up form sent every week. The first 30 to sign up can attend the club. However, according to some students, improvements can be made to this system. 

“More people could be added,” said Isabella.

Other students believe that there should be a limit on how many times you can participate in a quarter.

“They should have different people come in so that various people get a chance to participate,” said Iris.

Ms. Sullivan plans to continue on with the cooking club and make improvements along the way.

“Cooking club is a way to be creative and a way to show beauty,” said Mrs. Sullivan. “It’s a way to spark a new hobby or an interest.”