Spirit Days: ‘It’s just fun to dress up’

Natalia does her best supermodel pose in pink.

Kathy Cortez

“I participate in spirit days because it makes me feel like a part of a school environment, and it’s just fun to dress up,” said Jordan Hale, an eighth-grader on the X-Treme Team.

Rachel Carson Middle School has many spirit days throughout the year, and “the favorite was probably Pink Panther day,” said Natalie Cahoon, an eighth-grader on the X-Treme Team. On Pink Panther Day, students put on as much pink as they can to show support for breast cancer research and victims.

“I support research for breast cancer and I think it’s a way to make school more fun,” said Natalie.

Natalia Miranda, an eighth-grader on the Yellow Jackets team, agreed. “There is the maximum participation during Pink Panther day, and I wanted to support school spirit and I support breast cancer victims.”

Before spirit days can happen though, RCMS SCA members have to meet and brainstorm ideas.

Lucy Kim, SCA President said, “We choose spirit days based on student recommendations, administration’s approval, and if it’s fun enough to get students hyped. … Administrators don’t approve some of students recommendations such as pajama day or meme day, if they think it’s inappropriate.”

Jack Wolff, a seventh-grade SCA representative, elaborated: “In SCA we choose spirit days by deciding as a group, we usually choose the dates by having them all in a week, then every officer goes online to find ideas or just comes up with them on there own and brings them to Ms. Donlen and the rest of the officers in the next meeting. We then choose our favorite four or five and tell those to Ms. Donlen. She usually has a light impact on what we choose but it is mostly to make sure we follow dress code in our spirit days. After that when we have the final few we send them to Mr. Stokes to get approved.”

As for future spirit days, Lucy’s current ideas are white out day, Hawaiian day, wear your Carson gear day, wear your high school gear day and meme day.